Leo in the Complete Horoscope
The Lion Zodiac Sign in Classical Astrology
The Leo Zodiac sign glyph. Ink calligraphy by Stefan Stenudd. Click the image to see it enlarged.
Leo, the Lion, is the fifth sign of the zodiac. The sun enters it on or around July 23, when the summer is at its peak.
MY ASTROLOGY BOOK
Your Health in Your Horoscope
This book by Stefan Stenudd explains what your horoscope says about your health, according to the old tradition of medical astrology. The book contains a quick introduction to astrology, as well, and instructions on how to read a birth chart in general. Click the image to see the book (and Kindle ebook) at Amazon (paid link).
Leo belongs to the element fire, its quality is fixed and its charge is positive. Its Ruler is the sun, and Pluto exalts in it. Its motto is: "I want." In the horoscope chart, the zodiac sign Leo brings a proud and prominent character to planets and astrological houses therein.
Please observe that the text on this webpage is about the role of the Leo zodiac sign in the complete horoscope chart, and not just its meaning as a star sign, also called sun sign (when the sun was in Leo at the time of your birth).
Your Leo Zodiac Sign
Those who have Leo as their zodiac sign (star sign) are born when the sun was in Leo, normally July 23 — August 22 (it differs slightly from year to year, because of the leap years). Therefore, it is also — more adequately — called the sun sign.
Observe that it's just one of the many components of the complete horoscope chart. Nowadays, star sign astrology is much more widespread and common than readings based on the classical birth chart, but the latter is what astrology is really all about.
The sun in your horoscope is your natural self — what you are when you relax, when other planets in your horoscope are not active. It is your basic drive.
If your sun sign is Leo, you are a proud person, with a strong sense of integrity and the importance of being true to yourself. It is the major sun sign, so it is natural for you to shine. To a Leo, life is very much the individual achievement, and the ability to reach a place of distinction in society — but mostly, to be able to have pride in oneself.
The Father of Leo
The sun in the horoscope also represents your father (the mother is represented by the moon).
If you have the sun in Leo, your relation to your father is one of high mutual respect. It is also mutual in the way that you both feel a need to be proud of each other, in order to be proud of yourselves. It's kind of a gentlemen's agreement.
For more about your sun sign in Zodiac sign astrology, see the link further down this page.
The Planets in Leo
The planets and astrological points are the active forces in the horoscope chart, the energies by which we are able to act. As such, each has its own characteristics, but they are influenced by the zodiac sign they occupy. When a planet or other point of the horoscope is in Leo, it is also affected by the zodiac sign, getting something of its character. Here are those planets and astrological points, what they stand for in the complete horoscope chart, and how they are affected by the zodiac sign Leo:
Planet symbols (glyphs). From left to right: sun, moon, Mercury, Venus, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune, Pluto, Ascendant, Medium Coeli, moon node.
- Sun basic drive — Leo brings pride and integrity.
- Moon longing — Leo brings a need to be admired by others, and to feel good about oneself.
- Mercury curiosity — Leo brings an ability to convince others and a mind set on personal goals.
- Venus affection — Leo brings great charm that seduces others, and a delight in oneself.
- Mars aggression — Leo brings a strong willpower and determination.
- Jupiter luck — Leo brings good fortune and some ease to achieve personal success.
- Saturn duty — Leo brings a sense of importance, and determination to reach one's goals.
- Uranus contemplation — Leo brings a fascination with one's own mind, and constant curiosity to explore it.
- Neptune fantasy — Leo brings a fantasy quite self-occupied, and dreams of personal satisfaction.
- Pluto catharsis — Leo brings drastic changes and a sense of destiny in the making, to one's personal life.
- Ascendant, AC attitude — Leo brings an impressive appearance and the admiration of others.
- Medium Coeli, MC self-image — Leo brings personal pride and the conviction of being special.
The Houses in Leo
The astrological Houses are life environments, different sections of what constitutes our everyday reality. The Zodiac signs bring their characteristics to the Houses, influencing the environments described by them. Here are the twelve Houses, what they stand for, and how the Zodiac sign Leo affects them:
- Identity — Leo makes you seem self-occupied, but also charismatic.
- Resources — Leo makes you full of personal resources.
- Communication — Leo makes you attract many friends, and your learning is mainly auto didactic.
- Home — Leo makes you the center of your family, sometimes dominating it too much.
- Pastime — Leo makes you seek out personal pleasures and indulge in them.
- Work — Leo makes you have a leading role at work, whatever your title is.
- Partners — Leo makes you the main one in your relations, but you have difficulty committing.
- Unknown — Leo makes you confident that fate will be kind to you, or that you can master it when needed.
- Travel — Leo makes you prefer the world to turn around you, than the other way around.
- Career — Leo makes you get a prominent, leading position in just about any social situation.
- Ideals — Leo makes you a convinced individualist, turning to the community only to get its confirmation.
- Shortcomings — Leo makes you feel that life doesn't give enough opportunities for you to realize your own goals.
Leo in General
Of course, all of the above is very general, mainly to give you an idea of how the Leo zodiac sign works in the horoscope and influences its different components. You need to study your complete horoscope chart carefully, to make a deeper and more nuanced interpretation.
Leo — Lion. Illustration from a 1482 edition of Poeticon Astronomicon, attributed to Hyginus.
OTHER BOOKS OF MINE
Click the image to see the book at Amazon (paid link).
This book presents an imaginative method of reading the divination cards, which is the most appropriate for the Tarot, since it consists of symbolic images.
Archetypes of Mythology
Jungian theories on myth and religion examined, from Carl G. Jung to Jordan B. Peterson.
Cosmos of the Ancients
All the philosophers of Ancient Greece and what they thought about cosmology, myth, religion and the gods.
Life Energy Encyclopedia
Qi (chi), prana, pneuma, spiritus, and all the other life force concepts around the world explained and compared.
The twelve Zodiac signs and what they mean in astrology.
MY OTHER WEBSITES
Try the old Tarot deck of cards with a free online divination. How to use the Tarot and what each card means.
Try the ancient Chinese divination online for free. The 64 hexagrams of I Ching
, The Book of Change
, and what they mean in divination.
I'm a Swedish astrologer
and historian of ideas
, researching ancient thought and mythology. My personal website: stenudd.com
© Stefan Stenudd